What a damn shame to wreck such a unique environment by damned stupid money grubbing developers-asses who sacrifice the homeland earth for the portion of porridge that belongs to all their brothers. The "state" of Florida should have its ass kicked for not preserving or at least protecting some or more of the keys. Perhaps a hurricane someday will equate the situation.

-Mike Breiding
"Number 2 son"

Bob Kletzly

http://www.abebooks.com/American-Woodcock-West-Virginia-Kletzly-Robert/6288994741/bd http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/5200028 http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/articles?Action=user_view&db=hurheral_articles&id=7630


States Covered: Southeastern US - December 1981 to January 1982

Day 1 Tuesday 15 December 1981
Elkins to Lynchburg, Virginia 209 mi.

Left Elkins with Bob Kletzly 10:40 a.m. About 2" snow on ground; occasional flurries. Headed over Cheat Mountain on U.S. 250, 219 to White Sulphur Springs. About a foot of snow on Cheat Mt. Snow all the way. Took 2 hrs 40 minutes to get to White Sulphur Springs. Pie & milk at O'neills. On to US 64 and cross-country to Lynchburg. Heavy patches of fog. Snowing at Lynchburg. Stayed at Thomas Motor Lodge, Room 47, $24.96. A messy ride to Howard Johnson's for dinner. Spaghetti and meatballs $2.75 + tax, & tip. Wrote Christmas cards, studied maps, TV. Temp 18° F Cheat Mt; otherwise about 28-32°.

Day 2 Wednesday 16 December 1981
Lynchburg, Virginia to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Breakfast at Howard Johnson's. Left Lynchburg 8:40 a.m. Headed South to Danville, Greensboro, Rockingham, Marion, Myrtle Beach. "Ran out" of snow Chatham, Va. Lunch at "Wiener House" Rockingham. Had beef stew. Arrived Myrtle Beach 3:45 p.m. Stopped at VW dealer for Bob to make appointment to get 1,000 mi check-up. Many motels closed. Two that were possibilities were closed. Found & stayed at the Dogwood Motor Court, Room 9. 21.30/nite. Bargained to stay 2 nites. Appointment for VW, tomorrow 9:30 a.m. The whole day has been, clear, moderating and pleasant, plus sunny.

Dinner at Shoney's. Back to room, TV, unwinding.

Day 3 Thursday 17 December 1981
Myrtle Beach

Heavy frost overnight. Sunny pleasant most of day. High about 60° Low 32° Bright & sunny at dawn. Breakfast at Shoney's. Back to Room at Dogwood. To Volkswagen Dealer for 1,000 mi check-up at 9:15 am. Roamed about neighborhood and walked to beach. Interesting jaunt for land birds & surf/water birds. Picked up car at 10:30 a.m. Headed south to Huntington Beach State Park Saw some interesting but no "new species". Arrived about 11:30 a.m. Stayed til 3:00 p.m. Went to Myrtle Beach SP Eventually arrived at Dogwood Motor Lodge via Surfside road "motel row".

Happy hour. Dinner at Morrison's at the Mall. Back to room, etc., etc.

Day 4 Friday 18 December 1981
Rain at 4 a.m. to 10 a.m. Hard at times Myrtle Beach

Breakfast at Shoney's. Since it was raining in torrent we decided to move south. We made a stop at Huntington Beach SP. It quit raining. The tide was out and the mud flats had some birds. We proceeded to search the open marsh and saw a rail, then one, then another. They proved to be the Clopper species. We worked the inland pool, then the beach, then on to Myrtle Beach S P and back to town and got a room for two nites at the Fredrick Motel, Room. 108, 14.00 + 6% tax. We went back up to the Fishing Pier about 1st Ave & saw Black Scoters and Royal Terns and Black-backed Gulls. Dinner at Morrisons and back to room.


Day 5 Saturday 19 December 1981
27° 8a.m., cold, clear WINDY, Myrtle Beach

Breakfast at International Omelet Shop. Went to Huntington Beach SP. No rails. Did some other cruising, to Murrells Inlet, Litchfield area and back to Huntington Beach SP. Picked up semi-palmated Plovers and Bonaparte's Gulls. The wind was devastating. We quit about 3 PM.

Dinner at Morrison's Cafeteria which is at the Mall.

Day 6 Sunday 20 December 1981
Low overnite 17°. Cold, clear, sunny Myrtle Beach to Hardeeville

Up at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast at International Omelet Shop. Back to room to pack then went to St. Andrew's Church for 9:30 a.m. Mass. [Father Paul F. X. Seitz, Pastor. Anthony J. Lorenzo, Deacon At Mass 6:30 p.m, [check mark] 7:30 a.m. , 9:30a.m., 11:30a.m., 6:00 p.m.]. Headed for Huntington Beach SP. Didn't stay. Took R 175 on to Hardeeville (through Charleston, South Carolina). Stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge Room 145, $23.96.

Check maps & distances to Wildlife Refuges in South Carolina and Georgia. Temp: pleasant upon arrival, about 40-45° Sunday warm but cooling as Sunday retreated.

Day 7 Monday 21 December 1981
Hardeeville/Savannah NWR/Folkston

Up at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast at Thunderbird Lodge Restaurant Headed for Savannah NWR. Refuge til about noon. Lots of Shoveller ducks. Some mallards. A nice representation of Anhingas & Hawks; a few Blue-winged Teal & Savannah Sparrow "common". Moved on south to Folkston, Georgia. Stayed at the Best Western Tahiti. Room #27. 20.26/per two. Was intruded upon by a fellow lodger from South Carolina enroute to Florida. The hawks at Savannah NWR: Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, and Harrier.

The day ended nice warm pleasant. Dinner at Motel Restaurant.

Back to TOP

December 1981
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Day 8 Tuesday 22 December 1981

Up at 7:45 a.m. Breakfast at Tahiti Resteraunt Motel. What a day! Bright, sunny, warm to almost very warm. Spent day at Okefenokee NWR.

"Hit" 100 species of birds about 1:00 p.m. Left refuge about 4 PM. Back to Room 27 at the "Tahiti". Dinner at Restaurant Darkness at 6 PM. Check notes, books, maps, TV. Saw one alligator & rattlesnake on road.

Day 9 Wednesday 23 December 1981

Up at 7:45 a.m. Breakfast alone at Tahiti. Bob got up early. Headed west via Lake City, Perry, Wakulla Springs Inn. No room at the inn. Retreated to Tallahassee at the infamous rip-off, Scottish Inn run by East Indians or Pakastanis, always second or third class facilities.

Hit Tallahassee 3:00 p.m. Wound up at room 267, $21.64. Hard tropical showers 4-6 p.m. Supper at adjacent Howard Johnsons. Back to room; log; TV. One "new" bird today, Eastern Bluebird #101 (species)

Day 10 Thursday 24 December 1981
Tallahassee to East Point

Up at 7:15 a.m. Stuffed up head & scratchy throat. Breakfast Howard Johnson's, Tallahassee. Headed for St. Marks NWR. Heavy fog, drizzle. Worked the refuge 'til 12:15 p.m., then headed west on Rt. 98. Fog did not lift. Destination originally was Apalachicola, but there was no restaurant to be found that would be open tomorrow, Christmas day. As we were ready to head back east to find a place, I spotted the Sport's Place Restaurant, East Point, that had a sign that it would be open Christmas. So we went to the Sportsmen's Lodge, Unit 11, $20.00 + tax per nite. We did some birding from the room & the bay. Saw a number of brown pelicans, heard a Common Loon and had a close encounter with an immature Red-Shouldered hawk. We thought we would have dinner back at the Reef which supposedly was to open at 4 PM, but was closed. Back to East Point continue to the Sportsmen. So the day ended except for catching up on the diary and "winding down".

Head and throat seems to have cleared up. Saw Otter at St. Marks refuge-on road.

Day 11 Christmas Friday 25 December 1981
Eastpoint/St. Joseph Peninsula SP/Port St. Joe/Eastport

Breakfast 8:30 a.m. Sport's Place. Mass St. Patrick's 10 a.m. Headed West. Gray overcast, light diffused. Main destination St. Joseph Peninsula SP. Saw enough birds to make conditions interesting, but nothing spectacular. At Port St. Joe added the Least Sandpiper & Semi-palmated Sandpiper. Other than that the day was rather uneventful. Back to Sportsman's Lodge about 3:15 p.m. Happy hour. Supper at Sport's Place. So ended Christmas.

Day 12 Saturday 26 December 1981
Eastpoint/St. Marks NWR/Perry/Cross City

The day broke bleak and gray with a fine mist. Went to Sport's at 7:45 a.m., but not open. Back to room; Bob paid for same, partially packed. Back to Restaurant at 8:15 a.m. Had just opened. Had breakfast. Back to room to finish packing, then headed east on Rt. 98 to St. Marks NWR. Added Redhead Duck, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Black-crowned Night-Heron to master list plus Turkey Vulture & Anhinga to refuge list. To Wakulla for gas about noon then east toward Perry. The drizzle stopped around Oak Point but still gray, then picked up to hard showers as we approached Cross City and stayed at the El Dorado Motel about 2:30 p.m. Washed clothes, read. Supper at the El Dorado. Poor fare, poor food. Room 9, $22.50 + tax = $23.40. Rain stopped about 500: p.m. Cooler, but still warm and humid.

Day 13 Sunday 27 December 1981
Cross City/Cedar Key/Cross City

Gray, overcast. Up at 7:15 a.m. Shower as usual. Mass at 8 a.m., Cross City Mission, Father John H. Dux Pastor, St. Madeleine's, High Springs Florida Parish. Breakfast at the Carriage Motel Restaurant Back to room, then headed for Cedar Key. Saw Laughing Gull, Green Heron, Barred Owl at school premises, Spotted Sandiper, Stilt Sandpiper in marsh along Rt. 24. Was foggy most of the time which made bird watching a little tedious. Lot of Sandpipers (Least, Western, Stilt) and Semi-palmated Plovers and Dunlins. Many Laughing Gulls in the general vicinity. Also lots of people-sightseers and fishermen. Several rafts of Scaup Ducks; the best I could tell were all Lesser. Supper alone at the El Dorado greasy spoon.

Day 14 Monday 28 December 1981
Cross City/Homosassa Springs/Lake City/Arcadia

Slept in 'til 8 a.m. The heavy truck traffic & the "dripping" commode made for fitful sleeping. Again the morning broke drab, gray, dreary and foggy. Breakfast at the Carriage House Restaurant Left the El Dorado about 10 a.m. and headed south and east to Acadia via Homosassa Springs and Lake City. As we headed eastward the clouds gave way and at last bright sunlight. Temp probably reached 80°. Added Cattle Egret to the list enroute. Was in car 'til 3:30 p.m. Saw Palm Warbler and Yellow-throated Warbler, back of motel room #26, the Hi-Way, $24.96.

Wrote card to Reiffenbergers, Eric Osgood. Got caught up on diary and "bookkeeping". Supper at The Clock Restaurant along Rt. 70E.

Day 15 Tuesday 29 December 1981
Arcadia to Myakka River SP/Arcadia

Up at 7:30 a.m. Bright sun. Usual shower. Breakfast at the Desoto Motor Lodge Restaurant "in town" Arcadia. Back to room for morning "chores", then on to Myakka River SP. Enroute saw Wood Ibis, Mottled Duck. Park admission 50¢ /head. 64° 8 a.m.

Lots of people in the park. Lots of White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Great-blue Heron, Little Blue Herons, Snowy Egret, Common Egret, Blue-winged Teal, Coots; some Anhingas, Common Gallinules, Yellowlegs both species, Least Sandpiper, Red-shouldered Hawk. Three unexpected species in order of relative importance: Water Pipit, Cinnamon Teal and Eurasion Wigeon. Was in the park from about 10:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. It got very warm and it was the first time I've felt perspiration for about 3 months from light physical activities.

The sun beat down steadily all day. Hooray! Back at the room about 4:00 p.m.

Laundered shirts, resorted clothes, cold weather clothes "into storage," warm weather clothes for availability. I wish I had brought my clothing & foot gear for hotter weather. But one never knows how to out guess the weather. If I can't manage I'll probably buy some more comfortable shoes, pants & shirts. Supper at Desoto Restaurant (Arcadia).

Day 16 Wednesday 30 December 1981
Arcadia-"Beaches," Boca Grande/Arcadia

The morning broke dark & gray. Didn't get up til 8 a.m.--65° Breakfast at the Desoto Restaurant. Eventually on way to Siesta Beach to look for shore birds, gulls, terns. Went to the "County" beach and finally found the Snowy Plover, Sandwich Tern & Common Tern. Went southward, hit several other beaches but nothing in the way of birds-nothing but hordes of people. Finally ended at Boca Grande (went through the Venice "mess.") Back at Arcadia at 5 p.m. Supper at the Desoto. Temp got up to about 85°. I felt the heat. (3rd nite at Hi-Way, Room 26--$24.96.)

Day 17 Thursday 31 December Last Day of 1981
Arcadia/Everglade City/Homestead

Up at 7:30 a.m. Electric was off. Breakfast 7:45 a.m. Temp 66. Heavy fog. Left Arcadia about 9:00 a.m. Headed south on Rt. 31 to Everglades City area. Stop at NPS Center. Then headed for Shark Valley to look for Snail Kite at the Miccosukee Indian Restaurant. No luck, but did see Purple Gallinules. Headed toward Homestead & finished up at the Green Stone, Room 16. $36.08. The temp got warm to hot after the fog burnt off.

Bob went out for a haircut & beard trim. I checked on Church location & mass times. Sacred Heart at SE 2 Rd. 7:30 a.m. 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m. RR track south left 2 short blocks, left again.

Father Daniel Dorritory, Pastor. Joseph E. Stearns, Associate Pastor, Paul E. Edwards, Deacon

Back to TOP

December 1981
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Day 18 Friday 1 January First Day of 1982

Up at 7:15 a.m. Nice morning. Warm. Mass at 8 a.m. Sacred Heart.
(Fr. Daniel K. Dorritory, Pastor - Joseph Stearns, Assoc Pastor - Paul E. Edwards, Deacon.)
Breakfast at Howard Johnson's. Crowded, service slow. Got Room at Bel-Air Motel, Room 9 Upstairs $34.00. Went to Green Stone to repack, then headed for Everglades NP Went to Research Station road off Royal Palm road Got Western Flycatcher & Crested Flycatcher.

"Ran into" Mr. & Mrs. (Ed? & Ellen) Eigenfritz (?) from Virginia. They are camping in the park & headed for Aransas NWR

Worked way to Flamingo. The search was for the Short-tailed Hawk, but no luck all day on that species. At Flamingo picked up two Bald Eagles, Marbled Godwit. Previously saw Roseate Spoonbill at Mzarek Pond. On return to Homestead stopped off at Anhinga Trail and added Smooth-billed Ani. Back at room at 6:15 p.m. just at dark.

"Supper" at Arby's. Back to room. Laundered shirts. Worked on diary & bird records. 78° at 7:15 p.m.

Day 19 Saturday 2 January 1982
Homestead/Shark Valley

Up at 7:15 a.m. Breakfast at the "drug store." Head for Shark Valley to hunt for Snail Kite. I probably saw a "kettle" and a single but never for certain. Work the general area of the Miccosukee Indian Reservation for the kite. Saw Ospreys and Red-shouldered Hawks. Spent part of the afternoon in the Everglades NP. Saw the Limpkin at close range. Back to room about 4:30 p.m. Watched parts of some old movies on TV. "Dinner" at Caudell's. I couldn't eat hamburger steak-bad taste. Bill for meal was voided.

Back to room. Bob as usual dominated the TV and watched football games. What a bore! I shaved, wrote up notes and tried to salve my frustration of the yakety-yak commentators.

Day 20 Sunday 3 January 1982
Homestead/Marathon/Florida City

Up at 7:15 a.m. Mass at 8 a.m. at Sacred Heart. Breakfast at the Royal Palm. Pulled out of the Bel-Air. Headed down US 1 to, and on to the "key's". Went as far as Marathon from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Picked up the Magnificent Frigate, Reddish Egret, White-crowned Pigeon; almost 200 miles of traffic and ruination of the Keys.

What a damn shame to wreck such a unique environment by damned stupid money grubbing developers-asses who sacrifice the homeland earth for the portion of porridge that belongs to all their brothers. The "state" of Florida should have its ass kicked for not preserving or at least protecting some or more of the keys. Perhaps a hurricane someday will equate the situation.

About 4:30 p.m. we stopped at the Budget Motel, Florida City, Room 101, $30.00. Supper at the Neighbor's Restaurant, Homestead.

So it goes and so goes Florida down the drain, one of the country's unique ecological areas. The human species-yuk!

Day 21 Monday 4 January 1982
Florida City/Flamingo

Up at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast at the Palm Café/Restaurant/Beer Joint, Florida City. Left Budget Motel, destination Flamingo. Warm to very warm to hot. Tide was in so bird life was not too available til about 2 p.m. Saw "Scarlet" Ibis and probably a Flamingo, and another newcomer to the list was the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. We wanted to stay at Flamingo Lodge but the rate was $56.00, so we renigged and decided to go back to Florida City for two nites at the Budget Motel.

I did the driving all day and proceeded to do same when it came time for supper. I headed for Homestead and went to the Royal Palm Restaurant. Bob had expected to go to the "Family" Restaurant. He was miffed with his meal and we had a little tiff.

To top it off when we returned to the motel room, the sound was not working on the TV. I went to the office & got moved to room 114. I finished laundry between two rooms. Bob watched TV. I finished laundry, worked on notes, etc.

Day 22 Tuesday 5 January 1982
Florida City/Flamingo

Up at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast at the Royal Palm, Homestead. Went to P.O. for stamps. Eventually headed for Flamingo but stopped off at Research Center road off Royal Palm, then to Long Pine Key, no access. Paurotis Pond, West Lake, Flamingo. Of all things finally picked up Cowbird on Rt. 27 between Florida City & Park entrance.

Arrive Flamingo about 12:30 p.m. Mostly cloudy all day. Saw no new birds. The search for the Short-tailed Hawk was in vain. Left about 3:30 p.m. Back to Budget, Room 114 about 5:00 p.m.

Supper at the Neighbor's Restaurant 74° F at 7:00 p.m. Humidity lower than yesterday. So tonite is pleasant and a feeling of comfort and well being. Called Freda.

Day 23 Wednesday 6 January 1982
Florida City/Shark Valley/Clewiston

Up at 7:15 a.m. Breakfast at Neighbor's Restaurant, Homestead

Packed and headed for Shark Valley. Just as we hit the Miccosukee Rest Area, I looked northward and saw three birds circling in the air. I yelled to Bob, "Stop," at the Texaco Station west of the Rest area. My binoculars were in place, I raised them and said, "The birds have white in their tails." By the time Bob got out of the car with his telescope on a gunstock mount the birds had risen so far up and northward that we weren't certain what to call the birds, so we followed "the shell road" along the canal (not main road, for 3 miles to the bridge and retraced our way along the canal and "jumped over" to the main road going eastward). Just as we hit the Texaco Station I looked upward and yelled, "Stop". Bob swung around and stopped. We looked heavenward and soaring alone, wheeling and turning, without a doubt, a Snail Kite.

From there Bob went for coffee at the Miccosukee Restaurant. I headed for a little lagoon/slough with many types of birds. I was searching for the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, a bird Bob thought he couldn't remember seeing on previous trips to Florida but no YCNH, so we went to the NPS area and asked one of the employees, a young uniformed female probably with a job description of technician or interpretive specialist; where we might find a YCNH. She told us where we might find one. We followed her instructions and within 30 minutes found a Black-crowned Night-Heron and a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

We ambled back to Bob's VW and headed eastward and northward either to Belle Glade or Clewiston. We finally settled for Clewiston at Room 4, Cane Court $26.00.

We unpacked and headed to Moore Haven area to try to find the place where we saw Painted Buntings at a bird feeder.

Memory failed us and were unable to find the spot. We returned to our room. I "washed out" a pair of trousers and then out to eat at the Clewiston Inn. Sphagetti-all you can eat--$2.45. 73° at 7 p.m. Pleasant & comfortable. Called Michael.

Day 24 Thursday 7 January 1982
74°- 8 a.m., 76° - 9a.m. Clewiston/Loxahatchee NWLR/Clewiston

Up at 7:15 a.m. Breakfast, Clewiston Inn. Headed for Loxahatchee NWR. Very few birds, no new ones, first day this happened, but the time was due. Left Clewiston 8:45 a.m. returned 3:00 p.m. to Cane Court, Room 4 again $26.00. Got very warm this afternoon--83°F.

Day 25 Friday 8 January 1982
Clewiston/Ft. Lauderdale

Left Clewiston about 9 a.m. Headed east to West Palm Beach, then took the ocean road south. Lots of people, no birds and construction of condominiums going on at a busy pace. Some of the homes and other residential structures were almost beyond comprehension in size and landscaping.

We arrived in the Ft. Lauderdale shortly after the noon hour. After wondering about aimlessly, I called the Wilson's and got directions from Rich. We finally found our way to their home about 1:30 p.m.

Rich's cousin Elizabeth and "husband"(?) "Doss" (spelling?) were guests there. They were job hunting and planned to relocate in Florida.

The Wilson's neighbor, Betty, stopped in for a visit about 9:30 a.m. as we were about to eat the night meal.

Bob & I slept on the floor of the "work" room. Helen had rigged up some pads from a couch that served as a basis for bedding.

Bob hit the sack about 10:45 p.m.; I about an hour later.

Weather holding, 75° on Wilson's back porch, then 70° at bedtime.

Back to TOP

Day 26 Saturday 9 January 1982

The day broke cloudy, but 73° by 11 a.m. We had a round of coffee, then freshly picked grapefruit from the tree in the yard. Delicious. Breakfast of steak & eggs about 10 a.m. I wrote postcards and brought log up-to-date. We had hope of seeing a flock of "green/gray" parrot that showed up sporadically at the Wilson residence. The sun started to show up about 11 a.m., so the temp would probably increase a little, but cooler temps are predicted.

The night projected itself into eternity. By 1:15 a.m. Sunday Eliz & Doss were in bed. Rich went around 10 pm. I went around 1:30 a.m. I took bedding from room & put it on the "divan" which was a mistake. I thought I would set the pattern for going to bed, but Bob K & Helen W. proceeded to get drunk and stay up until after 4 a.m., keeping me awake. Even after they went to bed, I was with insomnia and unable to sleep the rest of the night.

Day 27 Sunday 10 January 1982
Temp 8 a.m.--53° Ft. Lauderdale/Vero Beach

I remained on the divan until 8:30 a.m. shaved, bathed & went to 9:30 a.m. Mass at Blessed Sacrament Church. [Reverend Jerome J. Martin, Pastor] Elizabeth and Rich were stirring about so sleep was ended.

After Mass, I roused Bob. We had breakfast, packed & left about 1:20 p.m. We headed north on I-95 and U.S. [1] and ended at Vero Beach after going as far as Sebastian and returned to Vero Beach at the Dolphin Room, $23.93

I ate dinner alone at the International House of Pancakes while Bob watched the idiot football game championship between Dallas and San Francisco. I'm not sure who won & cared less. Pro football is an inhumane game played by a lot of greedy asses.

Temp 4 p.m.--58°.

I worked on log & tolerated the noise of the football telecast.

Day 28 Monday 11 January 1982
Vero Beach/Florida Beach/Okeechobee to Indian Reservation/Okeechobee

The day broke cold at 41° at 8 a.m., then stayed in the 40's all day. Chicago was experiencing its coldest day on record, -24°, Minneapolis -31°. Pittsburgh -9 to -3. Charleston WV -7 to +1. Cold, Cold, Cold.

We headed north & worked A1A along the beaches but winds & low tide made shore/surf birding out the question. We took cross country from Florida Beach, so to Wabasso to[?] ______ and to Okeechobee.

Got a room (#9) at the Wheeler's Sportsman Motel $25.53. Ate lunch across the street at Bunnie's Restaurant or Cafe.

Back to room to get more clothes, then headed west on Route 70 to look for Caracara and Burrowing Owl and possibly Scrub Jay. Ran some of the side roads and saw a flock of 34 Sandhill Cranes on the Kissimmee Prairie. Went to Route 721 and to the Indian Reservation. Enroute saw a Carcara on Route 70 about 10 miles west of Okeechobee and another on the road to the Indian Reservation about 1 to 2 miles south from the junction of Route 70 & 721. No owl, no Scrub Jay.

Returned to Okeechobee around 5:00 p.m.

Dinner at the Village Restaurant. Back to room to write up notes & figure tomorrow's course.

The orange crop faces damage to due low temps.

Day 29 Tuesday 12 January 1982

Up at 7:30 a.m. Temp 8 a.m.--25° cold for Okeechobee. Breakfast alone at Bunnie's. Bob got up a few minutes earlier & went his way to eat.

Headed North to Bassinger. Saw another Caracara and first Scrub Jays of the trip. On to [?]Springs. Stopped at park and met a lady who said a Red-tailed Hawk was harassing a Red-headed Woodpecker. Upon check a number of dead trees found the woodpecker. The jay & red-headed became birds number 148 & 149 for the trip.

We proceeded "cross-country" to Sebring to check on Highlands Hammock SP. The area seemed birdless, except for a Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, & Palm Warbler at the entrance of the park. So "I" (driving) proceeded to Bradenton to Day's Inn, room 234, $31.38.

After unloading, headed for "the Beaches" (Holmes, others, Longboat Key, Bradenton.) The beaches were lacking in birds except for Ring-billed & Laughing Gulls, Sanderlings (many) two Ruddy Turnstones and several Willets & Black-bellied Plovers.

Finding our way back to Day's Inn became a confusing nightmare. By not retracing our route to the beaches, we head for Saratoga, then got bawled up on Rt. 41 Business.

We finally stopped for directions and arrived at the room at 6:10 p.m. just at twilight and almost dark.

Eventually ate at Day's Inn. I laundered clothes. Bob called Elkins. I worked on bird notes & diary. The night is pleasant & mild. -15°at Elkins. Called Freda.

Day 30 Wednesday 13 January 1982
Bradenton/Saratoga/Myakka River SP/Bradenton

Up at 7:30 a.m. Overcast. Breakfast alone at Day's Inn. Bob got up earlier to smoke infernal cigarettes, drinking coffee & I guess eat breakfast.

Headed south & east on R 41, and Rt 2 to Myakka River SP. Rain threatened any minute and it came 11:40 a.m. In the meantime we looked at a big concentration of Blue-wing Teal, some Green-winged Teal, Wigeon, Shoveller, Scamp, White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Egrets, Common Gallinules, Short-Billed Dowitchers, Common Snipe, Sandhill Crane, Louisiana Heron, Little Blue Heron, etc., etc.

We stayed 'til 3 p.m. when the clouds dropped their load in a down pour. Returned at Days Inn shortly after 4 p.m. Bob headed for coffee. I shaved, checked & updated Myakka bird list.

Dinner at Day's Inn. Wrote up log. Read paper and the day ended with rain showers continuing.

59° 9 a.m. 65° 3 p.m.-RAIN.

Bad weather continued up north.

Write Mike & Wilsons.

Back to TOP

Day 31 Thursday 14 January 1982

I was awakened early morning with high winds and pelting rains. The wind rattled the door, raining splashed against the room window.

Up at 7:45 a.m. Breakfast-Day's Inn (Bradenton). I ate alone. Bob rose earlier. He needs his coffee and cigarette.

We headed south, objective Ft. Meyers Beach. We faced the frustration of not being able to find access to the beaches, along with driving hard winds and occasional hard driving rain showers. The rest of the country was blasted with snow storms and low temperatures.

Washington, DC. had a tragedy yesterday. A Boeing 737 hit the 14th St. bridge, crashed into the icy Potomac River. As of today of 70 or 72 passenger, 5 survived. Five cars were hit by the plane killing the occupants.

We went down I-95 from Bradenton and cut off to get to Ft. Meyers Beach. After a search at several places, we ran into San Carlos Pass Park and saw several flocks of 25-30, Least Sandpiper, plus Dunlins, several Black-bellied Plovers, 2 Dowitchers, 2 Willets and a Snowy Plover. Later saw a Semi-palmated Plover and the pay-off, 3 Whimbrel, first on the surf, then later on the parking lot. At first, I thought the birds were Marbled Godwits, but the long down-curved bill, as compared to the upturned bill of the Godwit made the Whimbrel a new kind of record for me. I had seen it in the Galapagos Islands in 1974, but never in the U.S. So this made a new entry for my U.S. bird list.

We proceeded on to Naples and located at the Cypress Motel, Room 21, $31.20/nite. We planned to stay two nites.

The rain abated, but the wind prevailed. At dark was like an April evening in West Virginia, breezy, cool but not uncomfortable.

Dinner at Farmer Brown's Restaurant. Back to room to finish laundry. Wrote Freda, and the day's log.

Day 32 Friday 15 January 1982
Naples/Little Charles/Pass/Marco Island/Naples

Today we concentrated on shore birds. At 9 a.m. we returned north to Little Charles Pass mud flats where we had seen the shore birds and Whimbrels. There were many Dunlins, a scattering of Semi-palmated Plovers, Willets, Black-bellied Plovers, Red-breasted Mergansers, many gulls, (Ring-billed and Laughing) Double-crested Cormorants, Louisian Herons, etc.

Before we left we added the American Oystercatcher, species 151 (152) for the trip.

We returned to Naples and headed for Marco Island where Glen Phillips and I slept on the beach in my station wagon in 1954. Marco was virtually an out-of-the-way wilderness then, now it's dominated by condominiums and a widely scattered community.

At the time [1954] we saw the beaches virtually crawling with little crabs, pursued by countless individuals of Snowy Plovers while river otters played unabandoned and uninhibited. What a horrible change, from wilderness to metropolis in less than a generation. Too much progress too fast. Experts predict Marco faces devast ion from the sea. Development will bring about its destruction. Hooray! I hope in annihilates all the greedy developers who push the natural life into oblivion.

Tiger Tail Beach on Marco is a pleasant place. Thanks to some one with vision some of the surf side is available to the public. Without such oases, here and there, the affluent private interests prevent the average citizen from enjoying the benefits of the of the ocean and the natural environment.

Forever, wealthy and powerful suppress the opportunities of the less fortunate and have-nots.

Damn! What an injustice! Damn the greedy!

We had a pleasant experience with a family from England. The man and apparently a daughter were trying to see a many new kinds of birds as possible. We helped to point out some and help in identification.

We also had a problem and hit it head on when we had two small plovers we couldn't identify with certainty. We assumed we had snowy and piping plover under observation, but confusion in the field guides created doubt of what we had seen. Perhaps we can get it sorted out later.

At Marco were several groups of Black Skimmers, many Sanderlings and the usual species we had been seeing the past couple of days.

Back at the room (21) at the Cypress Motel, Naples, 4:25 p.m.

Bob had supper at Farmer Brown's. I left Brown's Restaurant and went to Wendy's. Brown's food is somewhat insipid and I wasn't tantalized by the menu and left.

Back to the room, then the Shopping Center, then back to the room to pen the diary. Bob was silent after supper, not a word 'til next morning.

Todays temp ranged about 40° to 65°. Sunny and windy all day -a joy to be outdoors in such pleasant surroundings. Naples had highest temp in eastern U.S.

Day 33 Saturday 16 January 1982
Naples/Marco Island/Royal Palm Hammock/Homestead

58° F-8 a.m.

This was a glorious day. Tiger Tail Beach was beautiful - but - no new birds

Since Marco was unproductive, we took a quick reconnaissance of Isle of Capri. It is a fishing center.

We moved on through Marco to Royal Palm. Nothing there for us and to Shark Valley, Rt 27 and Homestead.

We stopped off along one of exits to the canals & saw many Egrets and White Ibises - probably a couple of hundred of combined birds.

Homestead about 4:30 p.m., Room 8 Everglades Motel, $30.00 plus tax.

Supper at Jack's - 1/2 lb of shrimp

Day 34 Sunday 17 January 1982

Awake 6:40 a.m. Up at 7:00 a.m., shower. Walked to Sacred Heart Church at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast at Jack's. Back to room, and headed for Flamingo to look for Short-tailed Hawk. No luck. I talked to a lady at the telescopes at the Visitor Center and she said she saw a Painted Bunting around Flamingo Lodge.

So the day was spent rotating to various spots to find a "new". Shot down. Back at room 8 about 4:45 p.m.

The day ranged from cool to warm to hot to cool. Lots of people in the park. Many people fishing.

Day 35 Monday 18 January 1982
Homestead/Long Pine Key

The day broke bright sunny, cool but comfortable. I wore long slacks all day, not knowing how the mosquito situation might be.

We stopped at the Visitor Center at Royal Palm and I asked a young lady at one of the desks if she had any info on the Short-tailed Hawk. She said, "It's seen regularly at Long Pine Key". So we headed there and spent nearly the whole day there with a brief stop at Anhinga Trail entrance and "car run" on the "research station" road.

Bob got bored and stayed bored even after we returned to the room (Everglades Motel, Room 8). As usual he sacked out while I waited for him to get ready to go out for dinner.

When he awoke, he said, "Let's hit it, man." I said, "Where to?" His reply, "Arthur Treacher's" I said, "You're kidding." He said, "Why not?" I said, "Okay", revved up the VW and took him to Arthur Treacher's. At this juncture, locked the car door and said, "I'll see you later"; I had no desire to eat at Arthur Treacher's greasy fish & french fries. So I took off and ate at the Palm's Cafe and Restaurant. It looks like a hole in the wall and actually a beer joint. I ate a hamburger there on another trip and remembered it as being a good one. So I had an excellent salad and a huge hamburger. That filled the bill for me.

I returned to the room and Bob came later. I started into conversation with him but he went to the clothes closet and pulled out a J & B Scotch whiskey carton that contains some of his personal and business items. He spent the evening pulling papers & folders out of the box, writing checks and envelopes.

He never said a word all the time. Meanwhile I watched television and fell asleep, vaguely aware of it when Bob turned off the TV and lights.

So it continues sometime early a.m., Bob made his habitual retreat to the car to smoke cigarettes. He knows the smoke gives me some distress, so at certain times, he gives me a reprieve from the almost continuous clouds of smoke. At other times, it seems he makes an effort to expose me to as much smoke as possible. If he only knew it almost makes me sick. As a "reformed" smoker, I now get a bad reaction from tobacco smoke-boomerang effect I guess.

Back to TOP

Day 36 Tuesday 19 January 1982
Great weather! Homestead/Flamingo/Homestead

Bob had awakened me, stumbling around about 5:45 a.m. dropping something on the table and slamming the commode seat. This put me in a great frame of mind, since I couldn't go back to my regular arousal time of 7 a.m.

I took my regular a.m. shower and as I came out of the bathroom, he made some kind of nasal muffled remark that sounded like, "see ya made it to another day." I ignored it and waited for him to get ready to go to breakfast.

We went to Flamingo, almost 50 miles without a word passing between us. As we pulled into the parking lot, I said, "Bob, I'm going in the lodge area to look for the Painted Bunting and later try to find a strategic spot to look for the Short-tailed Hawk."

So we departed. I didn't see Bob until noon, at the visitor's center, near the gift shop, where I had met and was carrying on a conversation with a Gerry Gold from Chicago. I introduced Bob to Gerry. Bob and I got on to limited, guarded conversation which was fine. We proceeded toward Homestead making various stops at the designated focal points and interpretive areas.

Back at the room shortly after 4 p.m. I bought post cards, started on diary.

Dinner at the Neighbor's Restaurant-Homestead U.S. 1.

After dinner, I wrote post cards to Mike, Alice, Freda. Bob watched TV and eventually went outside to read newspaper and I watched TV. Bob came in and went to sleep. I, being sleepless, watched TV til 11:30 p.m.

Temp today ranged about 60-80°. A really nice day.

Day 37 Wednesday 20 January 1982
Homestead/Titusville via Florida Turnpike, I 95, 1A1A, etc.

Bob woke me up prowling around about 5:45 a.m.; shortly after 6:00 a.m. I got up, showered & dressed. When I came out of the shower, Bob had gotten back in bed after returning from the car and his usual rendezvous with Lady Nicotine. Reluctantly he got up. He probably never expected me to be up and about when he came into the room.

Breakfast at the Neighbor's Restaurant We got a fresh start by 8 a.m., heading north and U.S.1 to the Florida Turnpike to Ft. Pierce, then A1A on the coast road to Melbourne then over to I-95 to Titusville.

Finally wounded up at Econo Lodge, Room 101, $27.04. Nice room, nice location.

We struck for the Meritt Island NWR and made a hurried reconnaissance of the Black Point Auto Tour until 4:30 p.m. and returned to the room.

Dinner at the Green Apple at the motel. Waitress Mary Ann Chostour aspiring musician who has hopes of getting on the Lawrence Welk show.

Wrote up diary and reveled in another sunny day. The high temp was probably 80+. Hundreds and I guess thousands of people lined the beaches, sunbathing and fishing. Was a really a great day despite the 300+ miles in the car.

The tone and attitude of Bob & I eased a good deal today, but hasn't reached the full friendly openness that existed before yesterdays period of icy silence.

I guess from my standpoint, the friendly feeling I have always had for Bob is now constrained. Unknowingly, I think Bob tried to dominate me which is about damn near impossible for anybody to do-at least not for a long period of time. Domination to me is intimidation, something I won't put up with from anyone.

Day 38 Thursday 21 January 1982
Titusville/Meritt Island/Titusville

Red Maple in blossom and seed in Titusville area.

Temp range 55-80°; Almost too warm in mid-afternoon. We set out for the Canaveral National Sea Shore and Merritt Island NWR. We worked the beach, then the auto tours, then the beaches again but the bird life was lacking at all places.

In retrospect, breakfast and dinner at the Green Apple. The supper hour had an addition of a "solo" guitarist who had heard of the WWVA Jamboree at Wheeling, WV, where Dolly Parton was a lesser star 15 years ago.

The morning was foggy - very foggy but burned off early.

All in all was less than an exciting day: however, Titusville appeared to be an attractive area for many people. The surf fishermen were abundant, hardly a "line's length" away from each other on the beaches. They (the people) were visible in the distance as far as I could see.

Room 101, Econo Lodge was home again tonite.

Day 39 Friday 22 January 1982
Titusville/New Smyrna Beach/ Flagler Beach/Ferdindina Beach/ Yulee, FL

After discussing the itinerary for the day, we struck out north, stopped off New Smyrna Beach, Flagler Beach, Ferdindina Beach and eventually north of Yulee at the Best Western Inn, Room 110, $29.12. We were plagued with heavy fog from Smyrna Beach northward. We mostly followed I-95, past Daytona Beach and Jacksonville, alternating on US 1 and A1A along the beach areas. Eventually the trip is winding down as we facing the colder inclement temperatures of the north.

Pilot Whale-Smyrna Beach.

Day 40 Saturday 23 January 1982

The fog persisted overnight. The lawn of the motel was covered with Robins. Breakfast at the motel. Headed for Okefenokee NWR. Arrived shortly after 10 a.m. Birding was good. Saw Wild Turkey, Screech Owl in Wood Duck nesting box, Chipping Sparrow and Black and white Warbler. It warmed up considerably, but clouded over and the wind began to blow. Red maple just starting to blossom at Okefenokee.

We returned to Folkston and located the Catholic Church (St. Francis of Asissi) and got Room 28 at the Tahiti Motel where we stayed a month ago. $20.28.

Bob was watching TV so I went to eat ahead of him at the Motel Restaurant.

About 7:30 p.m, a heavy rain shower struck the area. We went to 8:00 p.m. Mass in a pelting rain. Temperature began to drop.

Day 41 Sunday 24 January 1982

Up at 7:20 a.m. Bob got up earlier & had breakfast. We left for Okefenokee NWR about 8:30 a.m. The temp was probably around 40. Overcast at first, but the sun broke through shedding some warmth, brisk breezes made our heavy jackets a welcome addition. Birds were apparently suppressed by the wind. We drove the Wildlife Trail and made a number of stops trying to find the Bachman's Sparrow. No success. Shortly afternoon we gave up and headed back to Folkston. Stopped off at the Traders Hill Recreation Area and the "cemetery", enroute to Folkston.

Back At the room, I studied maps & tour books. Update the bird list and diary.

Day 42 Monday January 25 1982
Folkston/St. Simon's Island/Georgetown SC

Breakfast at the motel, then on to Brunswick and St. Simon's Island, an oasis in the developers quagmire of ugliness. St. Simon's Island for all its attractiveness and touch of natural beauty is smothered in a stench of nauseating odors drifting from Brunswick. Why do all the processors of forestry products inflect themselves on the rest of the world. Maybe it's because they are so rotten themselves they don't realize there is a can or can be a more pleasant spew out to a damn dumb stupid American public, that seems willing to be put up with all kinds of ugliness for the sake of the tainted, polluted, devaluated American dollar.

And on we go northward, eastward through congestion eventually setting at room 43 at Georgetown, South Carolina.

Supper at the restaurant there. Room rate: $20.60

Day 43 Tuesday 26 January 1982
Georgetown/Myrtle Beach/Martinsville, Virginia.

As I write nearly a week after the trip has ended I vaguely remember: from Georgetown we went to Huntington Beach SP. Where we "picked up" a "new" species-the Gannet and "1982" species - the Black-backed Gull. We proceed to Myrtle Beach, worked the surface, saw Buffleheads, but not much else by 11 a.m. From there we proceeded northward, ending at Martinsville (Collinsville) Virginia Room 45 at the Fairystone Motel $ [?] run by East Indians.

Dinner at the Dutch Inn, red snapper.

Day 44 Wednesday 27 January 1982
Martinsville, Virginia to White Sulphur Springs to Elkins

Breakfast at the Dutch Inn. From there it was a straight shot to West Virginia to White Sulphur Springs, then north to Elkins. We left Martinsville about 8:10 and arrived Elkins at the Rieffenbergers about 2 p.m.

About 6 to 8 inches of snow rested on my Subaru Station Wagon. After sitting for some five to six weeks and much coaxing luckily the engine turned over and to my pleasant surprise started into normal operation.

Mary Moore, Mrs. Joe Rieffenberger, met us with her usual hospitality, but was subdued by a cold. Never the less she perked up and soon seemed to be at her usual congenial self.

So end another sojourn of bird watching. No new life species. I did record the Snail Kite. Which I had seen previously at Loxahatche NWR and in Costa Rica. Also the Cinnamon Teal was unexpected as was the 2nd (time) observation of the Eurasian Wigeon which I had seen almost 40 years ago on the Scioto River north of Columbus, Ohio, on a cold, snowy, blustery day in March with Dr. Donald Borror, Professor of Ohio State Univ.

Probably my "best bird" was the Whimbrel, a first time record for me for U.S. I had seen it on the Galapagos Islands, in flight at a distance; but now under good light conditions and close at hand on a grassy parking lot, the Whimbrel became a new come-to-life bird. Total List: Not sure-169?

Back to TOP


Southeastern U.S.
December 15th, 1981 to January 27th 1982
(1981 East Coast & Florida & Myrtle Beach)

  • DAY 1 12.15.81 Tuesday, Temp 29º
    Left Rieffenbergers, Elkins
  • Mileage:
  • 7800
  • 905
  • 6905
  • 10:40 a.m. about 2" snow on ground
  • 1. Crow
  • 2. Blue Jay: Elkins
  • 3. Black-capped Chickadee:  Elkins
  • 4. White-breasted Nuthatch:  Elkins
  • 5. Towhee:  Elkins
  • 6. Goldfinch:  Elkins
  • 7. Evening Grosbeak:  Elkins
  • 7. Junco
  • 9. Raven:  Cheat Mt.
  • 10. Starling
  • End Lynchburg Va 4:05 pm-Mileage 209
  • DAY 2 12.16.81 Wednesday
    Sunny NC-10:15 29º - 8 a.m. Mileage 216
  • 8.40 Lynchburg VA to[?]
  • 11. Rock Dove
  • 12. Kestrel
  • 13. Great-blue Heron
  • 14. Red-tailed Hawk 11
  • 15. Turkey Vulture 1
  • 16. Mockingbird
  • 17. Meadowlark
  • 18. House Sparrow
  • 19. Mourning Dove
  • 20. Loggerhead Shrike
  • DAY 3 12.17.81 Thursday
    Myrtle Beach-Clear, sunny:  Hi 64º
  • 21. Boat-tailed Grackle
  • 22. Common Grackle
  • 23. Ring-billed Gull
  • 24. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  • 25. Carolina Wren
  • 26. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
  • DAY 3 12.17.81 Myrtle Beach/Myrtle Beach SP/Huntington Beach SP.
  • 27. Carolina Chickadee
  • 28. Tufted Titmouse
  • 29. Sanderling
  • 30. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
  • 31. Song Sparrow
  • 32. Double-crested Cormorant:  Myrtle Beach
  • 33. Black Scoter:  Myrtle Beach
  • 34. Pied-billed Grebe:  Huntington Beach SP
  • 35. White Ibis
  • 36. Great Egret
  • 37. Kingfisher
  • 38. Snowy Egret
  • 39. Yellow-rumped Warbler:  Huntington Beach SP
  • 40. Forster's Tern
  • 41. Red-shouldered Hawk
  • 42. Hooded Merganser
  • 43. Fish Crow
  • 44. Coot
  • 45. Louisiana Heron.
  • 46. Red-Throated Loon.
  • 47. Brown Pelican
  • 48. Ruddy Turnstone
  • 49. Ruddy Duck
  • 50. Clapper Rail
  • 51. House Wren:  St. Mo__s[?]
  • 52. Herring Gull
  • DAY 4 12.18.81 Friday
    Myrtle Beach/Huntington Beach SP
  • Rain 4 a.m.-10 a.m. Hard shower; turning cooler
  • 53. Willet
  • 54. Dowitcher (Short-billed?)
  • 55. Greater Yellowlegs
  • 56. Canvasback
  • 57. Scaup
  • 58. Wigeon
  • 59. Dunlin
  • 60. West Sandpiper
  • 12.18.81 Friday
    Myrtle Beach/Huntington Beach SP/Myrtle Beach
  • 61. Lesser Yellowlegs
  • 62. Black-bellied Plover
  • 63. Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
  • 64. Solitary Vireo
  • 65. Pine Warbler
  • 66. Red-breasted Merganser
  • 67. Common. Loon
  • 68. Royal Tern
  • 69. Bufflehead
  • 70. Great Black-backed Gull
  • DAY 5 12.19.81 SAT Myrtle Beach/Huntington Beach 27º 8 a.m. Sunny bright clear
  • 71. Killdeer
  • 72. Gadwall
  • 73. White-throated Sparrow
  • 73. Semi-palmated Plover
  • 75. Bonaparte's Gull
  • 76. Ground Dove
  • DAY 6 12.20.81 Sunday
    Myrtle Beach R 175 to Hardeeville
    17º Low overnite. Bright, sunny, clear, "coldish"
  • 77. Black Vulture
  • DAY 7 12.21.81 Monday
    Savannah NWR Bright sunny about 40º 9 a.m.
  • 78. Blue-winged Teal
  • 79. Anhinga
  • 80. Flicker
  • 81. Mallard
  • 82. Wood Duck
  • 83. Shoveller:  Many
  • 84. Brown Thrasher
  • DAY 7 12.21.81 Monday
    Savannah NWR
  • 85. Pintail
  • 86. Harrier
  • 87. Savannah Sparrow
  • 88. Common Yellowthroat
  • 89. Swamp Sparrow
  • 90. W. Snipe[?]
  • 91. Tree Swallow
  • 92. Eastern Phoebe
  • DAY 8 12.22.81 TUES Folkston, Georgia/Okefenokee WLR
  • 48º 8 a.m. Hi of 72º predicted bright sunny clear.
  • 93. Brown-headed Nuthatch
  • 94. Tufted Titmouse
  • 95. Brown Creeper
  • 96. Robin
  • 97. Sandhill Crane
  • 98 Red-cockaded Woodpecker
  • 99. Catbird
  • 100. Bobwhite Quail
  • Barred Owl dead on Road
  • Wakulla 904-640-7011
  • DAY 9 12.23.81 WED Folkston Georgia to Tallahasse Florida
  • 62º 8 a.m. Hi of 76 expected "Light" overcast.
  • 101. E. Bluebird
  • 102. [?]
  • Via Lake City, Perry, Wakulla Springs
  • DAY 10 12.24.81 THU 57º 8 a.m. Tallahasse to East Point (Otter on road)
  • 102. Downy Woodpecker
  • 103. Red-wined Blackbird
  • 104. Little Blue Heron
  • 105. Green-winged Teal
  • 106. Caspian Tern
  • DAY 11 12.25.81 Friday
  • East Point/Applachicola/Indian Pass/St. Joseph SP/Port St. Joe
  • 107. Least Sandpiper
  • 108. Semi-palmated Sandpiper(?)
  • 109. Horned Grebe
  • DAY 12 12.26.81 SAT Eastpoint/St Marks Refuge/Cross City
  • 110. Sharp-shinned Hawk
  • 111. Redhead Duck
  • 1 12. White Pelican
  • 113. Black-crownwed Night-Heron
  • DAY 13 12.27.81 Sunday
    Cross City
  • 114. Green Heron
  • 115. Laugh. Gull
  • 116. Barred Owl Cedar Key
  • DAY 13 12.27.81 Sunday
    Cross City/Cedar Key Heavy overcast foggy
  • 117. Spotted Sandpiper
  • 118. Stilt Sandpiper
  • DAY 14 12.28.81 Monday
    Cross City/Homosassa/Lake City/Arcadia
  • Heavy overcast foggy until we "broke" off east for Lake City
  • 119. Cattle Egret
  • 120. Palm Warbler - Arcadia
  • 121. Yellow-throated Warbler
  • DAY 16 12.30.81 Wednesday
    Arcadia/Siesta Beach/Turtle Beach/Manasota Beach/Boca Grande/Punta Gorda/Arcadia
  • 65º Arcadia - 8:30 a.m. 72º 10:30 Siesta Beach
  • 128. Snowy Plover Siesta Beach
  • 129. Sandwich Tern Siesta Beach
  • 130. Common Tern Siesta Beach
  • 131. Osprey - Pacifica
  • DAY 17 12.31.81 Thursday
    Arcadia/Everglade City/Homestead
  • 132. Purple Gallinule
  • DAY 18 1.1.82 Friday
  • 133. Western Kingbird
  • 134. Crested Flycatcher
  • 135. Roseate Spoonbill
  • 136. Bald Eagle
  • 137. Warbled Godwit
  • 138. Smooth-billed Ani
  • DAY 19 1.2.82 Saturday
    Homestead/Shark Valley
  • Hot sunny 85º ?
  • 139. Limpkin
  • DAY 20 1.3.82 Sunday
  • 140. Magnificent Frigatebird
  • 141. Reddish Egret
  • 142. White-crowned Pigeon

Back to TOP

  • DAY 21 1.4.82 Monday
    Florida City/Flamingo
  • 143. Scissortail Flycatcher
  • 144. (American Bittern Bob 1.1.82 )
  • DAY 22 1.5.82 Tuesday
    Florida City/Homestead
  • 145. Brown-headed Cowbird
  • DAY 23 1.6.82 Wednesday
    Florida City/Shark Valley/Clewiston
  • 145. Snail Kite Shark Valley
  • 146. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron:  Shark Valley
  • DAY 24 1.7.82 Thursday
  • DAY 25 1.8.82 Friday
    Clewiston/Ft. Lauderdale
  • DAY 26/27 1-9/10-82 Saturday/Sunday
    Ft. Lauderdale/Vero Beach
  • DAY 28 1.11.82 Monday
    Vero Beach/Florida Beach/Okeechobee
  • 147. Carcara
  • One about 10 miles West of Okeechobee on curve along road
  • second on 721 headed toward Indian Reservation on big mound by bridge
  • (1-2 mi?) south of Junction of 70 & 721.
  • 41º-- 8 a.m. Vero Beach
  • 43º - 5 p.m. Okeechobee
  • DAY 29 1. 12.82 Tuesday
    Okeechobee e north to Bassinger/Sebring/Bradenton
  • 148. Scrub Jay:  Bassinger area
  • 149. Red-headed Woodpecker:  Zolfo Springs Pk.
  • Saw Another Carcara about 2 mi east of Bassinger.
  • Temp range 25-49º
  • DAY 30 1.13.82 Wednesday
    Bradenton/Saratoga/Myakka St Pk./Bradenton
  • Rain temp range 59-65º Fº
  • No new species
  • DAY 31 1.14.82 Thursday
    Bradenton to Naples
  • 150. Whimbrel
  • Little Carlos Pass 15 miles North of Naples Park
  • DAY 32 1.15.82 Friday
    Naples/Little Carlos Pass Pk/Marco Island
  • 151. American Oyster Catcher:  San Corless Pass
  • DAY 33 1.16.82 Saturday
    Naples/Marco Island/Royal Palm Hammock SP/Homestead
  • "Nothing" on Marco Island or elsewhere
  • DAY 34 1.17.82 Sunday
  • Looked for Short-tailed Hawk-Didn't see
  • No "new" species
  • DAY 35 1.18.82 Monday
    Homestead/Long Pine Key
  • 152. Sharp-shinned Hawk:  Long Pine Key-Campground
  • Many Tree Swallows
  • Pine Warbler "trilling. Weather exhilarating.
  • DAY 36 1.19.82 Tuesday
  • Nice day but nothing new.
  • DAY 37 1.20.82 Wednesday
  • Homestead to Titusville
  • DAY 38 1.21.82 Thursday
    Titusville/Meritt Is NWL Refuge & Canaveral National Seashore
  • DAY 39 1.22.82 Friday
    Titusville/Yulee via New Smyrna Beach/Flagler Beach etc.
  • Ran into heavy fog
  • DAY 40 1.23.82 Saturday
    Yulee Florida to Folkston and Okefenokee NWR.
  • 153. Chipping Sparrow
  • 154. Black and White Warbler
  • 155. Wild Turkey
  • 156. Screech Owl
  • DAY 41 1.24.82 Sunday
  • Gave up at noon - no birds-, windy. Did see 17 Wild Turkey and a Barred Owl.
  • DAY 42 1.25.82 Monday
  • Folkston to St. Simon's Island to Georgetown South Carolina
  • DAY 43 1.26.82 Tuesday
    39º---9 a.m. Windy
  • Georgetown South Carolina to Huntington Beach SP to Myrtle Beach to Marion South Carolina
  • Greensboro, Martinsville VA.
  • 157. Gannet:  Huntington Beach SP
  • DAY 44 1.27.82 Wednesday
    Martinsville VA/Elkins
  • Cold 15º? 8 a.m. at Martinsville but moderating.
  • North & east to Clifton Forge, Covington Va.
  • White Sulphur Springs at 11 a.m.
  • Parts of Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Randolph counties had 6 to 10 in snow on ground.
    Roads slushy icy. On R 92 N. of Alvon saw
  • 158. Cedar Waxwings
  • 159. Pine Siskins
  • Added White-breasted Nuthatch:  Elkins (Beverly)
  • Trip miles:  about 6900
  • (160.) A Bittern should be added to list. Seen by Bob.
  • (161.) Piping Plover questionable-unable to verify at Marco Is. Ended Safe & Healthy
  • Semi-palm sandpiper[?] May drop list to 158+

Finis - Deo gratias

Back to TOP